Sunday, August 27, 2006

Combining Saturday and Sunday in Philly




Ok, so we went to bed Friday night, and woke up Saturday morning to go to the Clerk Craft Conference. Then we went this little vegetarian place in South Philly, known for it's Vegetarian Philly Cheese Steaks. It was called Gourmet to Go/Govinda... It was pretty good. Not in the "best" neighborhood, but they were young and hard workers, and very polite. George loved it, and I have to admit they had a good selection, and if I went back, I wouldn't order the Philly Cheese Steak (I make a pretty mean Philly Cheese Steak with Morning Star Farms steak strips), but they had some other stuff on the menu that looked very good also. The Cheese Steak was good though.

Sunday after the second day of the clerk conference, we met up with George's local and had pizza at Olde City Pizza, down in the historic district. Pizza was OK, and the service was not so hot. Well, let's put it this way, the way George like Pizza, and we ate it again that vacation, we didn't go back there.....

Then we walked around the historic district, and went to the Liberty Bell.

We walked around the Historic District with plans to go back later in the week. We went to Carpeters Hall, the 2nd Bank, a few other places. All with plans of going back later in the week to do a real honest to goodness touristy thing, but it didn't actually work out that way... You may be seeing another entry in my blog about Heidi & George's REAL VACATION Trip to Philadelphia.

Anyway, then we went down Elfreth Alley. This is the oldest residential street in the United States. These houses date between 1728 and 1836, and people still live in them, I mean all but one are private residences! Now keep in mind that the first black and white picture was probably taken in the early 1900's. The color one of course was taken by us... (bet you never would have guessed) you can tell because that is me standing there with my hand on my hip. I am standing "kinda" between the second and third houses in the old picture. You can tell by the different arches over the doorways. The first house must have been knocked down.

Then we ate at a cafe, had desert and coffee, and that is when one of those BIG city pidgeons shit on my head. Everyone was pretty grossed out by it, and I have to admit, it was pretty gross, but George got a we paper towel from the rest room, and wiped it off, and then I just tried to forget about it. It was before we were served, and Hans has pooped on my plenty of times, so no biggie. When we got back to the hotel, I took a shower and washed my hair. None the worse for the ware...

Well that is pretty much all we did that day.

No comments: