Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Quick Post about Thursday in Philadelphia

Ok, real quick post....

Just some fill in info right now... Rod Smith lost the primary...what a shame... but we will probably lose the election in November, no matter who was elected in the primary.

Dinner on Saturday was a success.... Chili was alittle dry, but it was ok, and the desserts were a big hit... I will post the recipes for the desserts later this week.

Thursday in Philadelphia... Well that was really a disappointment. Decided to go to the Germantown Historical Society. First German settlement/community in the United States... Well, the unfortunate part is that I had to walk about 5 block, through not the best area... now mind you it wasn't a slum, but it wasn't great, and I was by myself, going someplace I was not familiar with. I took the train there, grafiti on the walls at the train station, had to walk through a pretty deserted commercial area. As I was walking, I was getting more and more uneasy, so I decided to turn around. Got back to the train station, and tried to go to the ticket office, and a girl looked at me through the window on the door, and said, we are closed, and disappeared. Needless to say I was still uneasy. I think the main reason was because, no one knew where I was, so if anything happened, there was no way to know where it happened to me, where I was, ... Just not a good situation.

So, disappointed I went back to the hotel and waited for George to get out of the convention.

You know you hear about people getting racially profiled all the time. But how often do you hear about a person who is afraid of being racially profiled. You know what I mean? Let's think about this, here I am, dependent on public transportation, by myself... all I want to do is go to a historic area, actually an historic settlement that could be part of my heritage, and I am reluctant to do so, for fear that someone will take offense. That they will have a problem with me walking throught their neighborhood. Like I said, had I been with someone, I wouldn't have felt so vulnerable.

You know I never felt this way before... There is something wrong, things are not what they should be, and I believe they are getting worse. I believe there is a problem out there, that I can't fix, because what is causing that problem is bigger than me, but I and others are the victims of this problem.

It is a very scary time in the United States... Things are not good, and people are being made to feel vulnerable. I think this is part of the huge divide that is happening in society. The huge divide of haves and have nots. What is happening is that the people in the latter category, right now anyway, are totally divided. I believe that before we hit the "revolt" stage of the have nots, there will be a kind of civil war at the bottom. I know who is going to win that war... it won't be people like me, I know that. I am not be part of the have's, in fact alot of people are not going to be part of the haves.... alot of people who think they are already there.

I bet that sounds like a bunch of nonsense... Maybe it is... but I don't think so. I just notice things happening around me in the last few years. What I notice has been slow and gradual, and it is effecting my gut feelings. Like I said a few posts back, I have never been so angry about this kind of stuff. I have been sad about it, but not angry.

Now, what do I do about it.... I am not going to change the world. Too late for that... so what do I do about it....?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Heidi -

I just read your comment on your visit to Germantown. I am on the Board of the Germantown Historical Society and I am so sorry that you were not able to reach your destination. I can understand trepidation in an unfamiliar place. However, Germantown is an incredible place and the Society has an amazing archive of history dating way back. It's worth a second attempt. I would be happy to host you on your visit and show you the wonders of our area.

Julie