Thursday, November 11, 2010

What a week it has been!!!

Driving evaluation was Tuesday, what a week... Well, first let me say that the driving evaluation is the same one that SENIOR CITIZENS go through.  I am 52. 

That being said, the road test was about 30 minutes long.  It was in a Hyundai Accent.  It was automatic transmission, good, since that is what my car is, automatic that is.  I drive a 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit.  Although, I could have driven a stick.  (Nothing like tooting your own horn!) 

As far as how I did... well, they said I was aggressive, and I am not making excuses... but I was aggressive on my bicycle too.  Personally I think I was preoccupied.  Does that make sense?  I was trying to do my best.. really was.  Anyway, on two occasions, I traveled too close to the left side of the road.  Which is funny because when I drove with George, he said I hugged the right side of the road.  I don't think it was over compensation, I think it was just that my sense of center was off, because the evaluator also stated that I rode on the line also, or straddled the center line.  The inside part of the test, at the computer, well there were 6 parts.  4 of them I came in as average for my age group, and 2 of them I came in as below average.  Most of these were testing judgment and reaction times. 

Now, all that equals to they passed me.  Now this information is not shared with the state licensing department, it is up to my doctor to take these test results and interpret them, with my situation, and contact the state capitol or not.

My husband made a very interesting observation.  This eval, both road test and simulator, were the only things I did that day... I slept in, no stress or rushing (other than my aggressiveness...lol), and I was trying to do my best... now couple all that with working, keeping my house, caring for my family, traffic, etc... well needless to say I don't think I would do that well.  I also want to add, I was exhausted after wards.

Now, it is Veteran's day, and I think my doctor's office is closed... and actually I think that is ok...  I think that business should close for more holidays.  Hopefully I will hear something by next week.  Especially since my last authorized day off is the 19th.  That is another story altogether...

So really, I really am not at a different point than I was before the evaluation.   I am convinced this is going to be a big deal, and will take a long time to work out.

I can't see, my eyes do what they want.  I have to work very hard for them to focus on one thing, and it really does exhaust me. 

Oh, and Schatzie, (Mom's dog) well, she has diabetes.  It is apparently pretty bad.  She has ketones in her urine, and her blood glucose is staying consistently at 400 or higher.  So they have her on fluids, and are monitoring her blood sugar, and her urine, and she is on regular insulin, and if all goes well, no seizures and no problems, she will be home tomorrow, and I will be giving her long acting insulin twice a day. 

However my research on ketones in her urine, which almost always amounts to ketoacidosis.  Now this isn't good, but, we will hope that it gets better. 

So as you can see, between Mathie (my dog) and the fact that she is getting old, and doesn't want to be away from my side.  Mom, George, this deal with my health, my employment and now Schatzie... I have my hands full.  Hopefully this stuff with Schatzie will go well.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Hi Heidi!

Great news that you passed your test :D Like your husband said, you cleared your plate for the test, but do you feel okay driving on a normal day? Not trying to test you ;) I just want to know how you feel about your clearance. My neuro cleared me for driving, at the time I was like "WHAT." ;)

I'm sorry to hear about your mom's dog, Schatzie, on top of everything else you have going on right now. A lot of the time, pets help us through the hard times we face, we never want to think of them having their own health problems...but they do come with age, as us all, huh?

Take it easy,

Crystal