Saturday, June 25, 2011

Pretty soon it will be time to smile...


Yesterday ended a part of my life that was very special.  It started over 16 years ago.  I always knew that one day things would change, and we each would have to move on.  Well yesterday was the day.

We said goodbye to Mathie.  She was truly a special little creature.  She was more special to me than a lot of people I know.  She had principles, more than most people.  She had standards, boy did she have standards.  In fact a lot of times I didn't meet up to her standards, and she had no problem letting me know.  However, she loved me more than life herself.  I have to say I don't think anyone ever loved me or ever will love me as much as she did.

What I find most difficult at a time like this is... I want to call my Mom and tell her that we said goodbye to Mathie, and I can't.  Maybe she knows, maybe they are together right now.  God it hurts right now.  Honestly if they were both looking down on me right now and watching me it would still hurt, but I could look at them and know that I didn't have to worry.

When Mathie was a puppy, I found her.  She was less than 4 pounds.  We were in Kissimmee, I was at a boyfriends property...I had my big girl Gretchen, and we were walking Daisy and Chrissy (his dogs) one morning.  Mathie came out, literally screaming, but she came to me... and we fell in love on the spot.  That started a 16+ year love fest.  We went everywhere together.  We did everything.  She trusted me 150% percent, no exaggeration.  When I had big decisions to make, she was right there supporting me.  When I tell you that she supported me... I meant it.

Well she is gone now.  I said goodbye to her yesterday morning.  I held her and kissed her and told her that I loved her, and how sorry I was that she had to go.

The last 7 months she couldn't walk very well.  But she rode in a little red wagon that we bought for her.
We put her in her wagon, walked her in her wagon to the spot that she could go potty, and then put her back in the wagon.  When it was cold.. and there were some cold days, she was wrapped up in Opa's blanket.


She has left a huge whole in my heart. HUGE!!!  That I can't help.  Mathie planned it that way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So beautifully written over a dear frend, and I´m sure that every one who has a frend like that would agree, pets...they are simply more loving than lot of men and women, and caring and understanding , but in a way they are a mirrow of us to, so I´m sure that she would agree to that, she was lucky to have found you, and she will always have a place in your heart, and by telling her story she will in ours to <3

Aly V said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Mathie was lucky to have found you. It is clear you felt the same.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your sweet doggie's passing. Sounds like a perfect connection ...the bond between both of you. You have been through so much. Thinking positive thoughts for you. Thanks for sharing your"love" story.
Elizabeth